Thursday, October 30, 2008

Congo rebel general says he wants talks

GOMA, Congo — The rebel general besieging this provincial capital said Thursday he wants direct talks with the Congo government about ending the fighting and his objections to a $9 billion deal that gives China access to vast mineral riches in exchange for a railway and highway.

Laurent Nkunda told The Associated Press in a telephone interview he also wants the urgent disarmament of a Rwandan Hutu militia that he accuses of preying on his minority Tutsi people.

Nkunda launched a low-level rebellion three years ago claiming Congo's transition to democracy had excluded the Tutsi, and despite agreeing in January to a U.N.-brokered cease-fire, resumed fighting in August. He alleges the Congolese government has not protected the Tutsi from the Rwandan Hutu militia that escaped to Congo after helping slaughter half a million Rwandan Tutsis in 1994. Nkunda says government troops are collaborating with the Rwandan Hutus, a claim Congo denies.

"It's not acceptable for government soldiers to be fighting alongside genociders," Nkunda said. "We want peace for people in the region."

Click here to "Read Full Article."

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Recap of Congo Week

Last week was Breaking the Silence Congo Week. Several events took place all over to bring awareness towards the ongoing violence and struggle in the DRC. Pictures on that soon to come.

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Cong Week Is Here

Tomorrow marks the begining of the international week long student run awareness for Congo. Please support the activities that are set to take place on your campus or campuses around you. And rememeber awarness is the first step.

Meanwhile...Blogging is a fairly new form of communication that has caught wild fire globally. Regardless of police run states and mass censorship, individuals have found a way to inform others about what is taking place in Africa. Thankfully, most blogging sites are free to the public making it not only convient but economical. Please take some time to check out blogging in Africa.
http://current.com/items/88844576_african_bloggers_fight_against_bad_governance

Monday, October 13, 2008

This week your home...next week the World

Break the Silence Congo Week is set to start next week on the 19th. And several universities, organizations and associations are prepraing major festivities to raise awareness of the plight of Congo. We here at drc144k seek to spread awareness of the Democratic Republic of Congo through all means possible. Fashion is just another way for us to express our heritage, pride and history. Please join us and several others in Breaking the Silence.
"The purpose of Break the Silence Congo Week is to raise awareness about the devastating situation in the Congo and mobilize support on behalf of the people of the Congo. It will take place from Sunday October 19th to Saturday October 25th. The key organizers are students from North Carolina A&T , UNC Chapel Hill, UNC Greensboro, University of Maryland, Howard University, Bowie University, and Cornell University (Congoweek.org)."
Check out http://congoweek.org/